6 September 2011
Good after 10 PM (Eastern) loves and lovers and loyalists.
Music in headphones. Sometimes the only way to go. But not earbuds. (Like my canals need more pals.) Headphones. The kind that make you look like a real radio disc jockey.
Tonight’s obsession is The Hold Steady. I only own Separation Sunday and Heaven is Whenever, but the solid rock electric guitar is golden with the talk-sing vocals and lyrical storytelling.
When I feel the need to take the headphones experience up a notch I choose to put in post-Transmissions from The Satellite Heart Flaming Lips (especially The Embryonic).
With the need to send the songs directly to my brain, I ordered Scott Walker’s first four solo albums. My new music goal is to listen to his entire solo career in chronological order. I realize I need a method. So, I will listen to each album until is know every bit by heart. Until I hear the rhythms in my sleep. Only then will I move on.
Other albums worth listening to entirely via headphones:
- The Antlers – Hospice
- Any Arcade Fire album
- Bjork – Homogenic
- Any The Books album
- Brian Eno – Another Green World
- Cathy Foy – We Build it Tall
- Centro-Matic – All The Falsest Hearts Can Try
- DJ Shadow – Endtroducing…
- Erykah Badu – Baduizm
- The Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, At War with The Mystics, The Embryonic
- Joanna Newsome – Have One on Me (be sure to listen to this album in one sitting)
- Morrissey – Viva Hate
- Neutral Milk Hotel – In The Aeroplane over The Sea
- Paul Simon – Graceland
- Radiohead – In Rainbows and The King of Limbs
- Say Hi To Your Mom – Impeccable Blahs
- The Smiths – Meat is Murder
- Songs:Ohia – Didn’t It Rain
- Suede – S/T
- Weezer – Pinkerton