21 February 2012: DC Exile Day 28
It looks like the Virginia General Assembly’s attempt to return women to a day before the 19th Amendment is getting some great attention, notice and outcry.
Yesterday, a group of activists surrounded the Virginia Capitol in Richmond to protest the state’s persistent attacks on women’s health. (Estimates put the crowd at over 1000 persons.)
While the protestors stood silently outside, Virginia’s cowardly, misogynist legislators held off on voting on some terrible bills.
Rather than delve into the details, I’ll provide some great links from yesterday, including some spot-on editorials decrying the latest bigoted bills in Virginia.
- The Maddow Blog has pictures of the crowd and points to a recent poll that most Virginians oppose the current anti-woman measures of the Virginia General Assembly.
- CBS 6 (WTVR) in Richmond has video of the crowd.
- The Richmond Times-Dispatch has more on the poll placing Virginians at odd with legislators.
- The Washington Post’s Virginia Politics blog also has video of the protest.
- Editorials appearing in NewsLeader.com, The Roanoke Times andThe Washington Post point out the danger of current legislation in Virginia.
Activists in Virginia are now poised for a statewide day of action this Thursday, 23 February. To learn more, visit NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia’s page.
[Updated: 12:10 p.m. MST]
News outlets continue coverage today.
- Richmond-Times Dispatch blog and main news site
- The News & Advance
- The Virginian-Pilot
- Washington Post (who also report on Saturday Night Live’s take on the subject)
- The Daily Press Shad Plank blog